[DeTomaso] Front Shock Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 16:33:39 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/21/10 12:33:33 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> While I've got it apart, should I go ahead and change the bushings too?
> Like everything thus far on this car, I'm sure they are the originals.

Depending on where your car lived its previous life and how it was driven,
stock rubber bushings may still be OK. Look very closely at the bushing
edges once the bolts are out. If they're still sort-of black and mostly
uncracked, ozone and sulfites haven't yet degraded them too much. The insides are
likely quite healthy. If on the other hand they are cracked and pieces have
fallen away, or one side of the rubber around the steel tube core is obviously
thicker than the other (bushing collapse), replace at least the badly
damaged ones. Incidently ,the same goes for all 16 a-arm bushings. Shock bushings
easily press out in a big vise using 1/2" drive sockets as pushers. A-arm
bushing replacement is a true PIA. One of the better illustrated write-ups on
removing a-arm bushings was done some time ago in the POCA Newsletter-
'Bushing-Pushing' by Fred Terry, Good luck- J Deryke