[DeTomaso] The Chinese oil torture

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Mar 8 02:08:53 EST 2010

Since getting my car back from the nightmare mechanic who lost my car for three months, oil has been dripping from the oil pan drain plug and, it appears, also from the oil filter gasket.  It's not severe, but it's enough that after a day of driving 8 or 9 drips are under the car 24 hours later.

At the tech session PNW had Saturday, I changed the oil and replace the drain plug washer (which was copper) with a new, nylon one, and I replaced the oil filter as well.  I check to make sure the oil filter seal was good (and lubricated with oil prior to installation), and that the mating surface was clean and smooth.

I didn't over-tighten the filter or the drain plug for fear of creating leaks.

This evening I checked, and drips are still apparent.  Using a rag and both hands I was unable to tighten the oil filter any more than it already is, I was able to tighten the drain plug a bit more (which I did), without reefing on it.

The new engine runs between 65 and 70 pounds of oil pressure (stock gauge reading confirmed by second, after-market gauge I added), so maybe with all that pressure small oil leaks are to be expected, but on a new engine I wouldn't think so.

Maybe tightening the drain plug will help there, but what about the filter?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris