[DeTomaso] Adjustable Rear upper a-arms

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 1 22:49:02 EDT 2010

There are only minor functional differences between adjustable upper a-arms
and the extra length versions if your rear suspension is perfectly
symmetrical.  If not, as is mine and I suspect many others, then adjustable
upper a-arms offer the advantage of allowing you to tweak your
non-symmetrical suspension into alignment without loading up with an
inch-thick pack of shims on one side and none on the other.  And yes, the
car was slightly non-symmetrical even before I drove it off the track at
high speed 8 or 10 times.

Whether the extra adjustability is worth twice the cost - well, I have to
admit that I haven't sprung for either solution and just use the relatively
cheap inch-thick pack of shims on one side.  That gives me a minimum of
1-3/4 degrees negative camber, which I'm OK with.  Someday though I'm going
for the more elegant adjustable a-arm setup.

Really.

How much were they again?

Dave Bell