[DeTomaso] Pantera Roller with V6 from 87 GN

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 02:19:39 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/27/10 3:31:36 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I don't prefer automatics for sport street driving but to launch at 20
> pounds on boost and run 8 and 9 second quarter miles I do prefer an
> automatic.

OK, but consider: practically no successful drag racers use independant
rear suspension- almost all remove the IRS if it was there and run a live axle.
There's an awful lot of lost motion in launching an IRS car which
translates to poor 60-ft times. If I was considering this, it's possible the plastic
Pantera with tube frame and front-mounted 427 FE is still available, once
owned by Cliff Marks of Nor-Cal. His wife was trying to sell it a couple of
years ago. It solves all your problems and allows any engine/trans you wish,
probably cheaper than reworking a real Pantera. It would certainly be
lighter! This complete, driveable drag car used a Lenco and solid mounted Ford 9"
rear.