[DeTomaso] Convention ideas

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Aug 19 20:38:56 EDT 2010

On the first official day of the Reno Fun Rally, Wednesday evening, I
initially approached representatives of the San Diego Chapter to follow up
on whether they would still consider helping us host the Fun Rally in San
Diego in 2011.  I was informed that they would need to look into it.  The
San Diego Chapter had previously expressed interest in 2008 when the move to
Reno was considered and with the Reno Track in doubt for 2011, it seemed
prudent.

I was approached by another San Diego Chapter representative at the Banquet
on the final evening of the Fun Rally and informed that they would like to
look into the possibility of supporting the initiative. I was pleased and
expressed a sense of urgency of performing their due diligence as ultimately
we would survey the membership for their input as we did with Vegas/Reno; we
also addressed basic needs to support the event.  These needs were not
financial. Rather, that they help us narrow down the potential hotel, track
or alternate facilities.  The Fun Rally Committee would work with the hotels
after they determined those most suitable and the San Diego Chapter would
also determine the members' willingness to host peripheral activities,
drives, etc.  It was important to know the plusses and minuses to allow a
fair comparative in the survey and provide for an informed vote.  After the
Fun Rally, Bob Reid created a document to guide them on basic needs to
inquire of any potential facility's staff.

I have yet to hear from the San Diego Chapters on their progress.
Obviously, the more time that passes, the more difficult the transition.

Actually, what surprises me is that Laurie spoke with representatives from
the Chapter and her post gives me the impression that they neither informed
her that

1) The Fun Rally Committee was open to the San Diego option in 2011
2) The Fun Rally Committee had actually set the initiative in motion and
3) that they had a sense of urgency about getting back to us.

JT
Fun Rally Co-chair