[DeTomaso] Dash 1 ZF Question- Internal shift detents??? Mangusta

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 19:19:06 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/19/10 16 11 46, steven.liebenow at att.net writes:

> The fact that I dropped the linkage via the trunion and the engine shift
> (shorter mounts) to be "more flat" that it also reduced the angle of the
> dangle,
> reducing resistance to movement....  PLUS, I now have standard 1" thick
> rubber
> biscuit motor insulators....instead of 1/2" thick pads (solid through
> bolt) and
> that the engine may be moving around a bit contributing to the
> issue.......

Did you alter the length of the shift rod (at the turnbuckle) after all
this movement?  Because if not, that might be your problem.   You say the lever
isn't hitting the gate in 4th gear which, on the surface, sounds good.
But the real question is, what is preventing it from doing so?   Is it because
the gearbox is going fully into 4th gear, or is it because the shift lever
is reaching the end of its possible travel within the shifter box, out of
sight, and the thing isn't fully in gear?

Try shortening the linkage just a hair, which means that when it's in
neutral, the shift lever moves ever so slightly rearwards.   Then report back.

If that doesn't fix it, you probably have a roached synchro or
something...but since it cropped up ONLY as a result of this engine swapout, I suspect
the gearbox itself is fine.