[DeTomaso] Dash 1 ZF Question- Internal shift detents??? Mangusta

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 13:19:57 EDT 2010

I doubt there's a problem within the gearbox. More likely 'flattening ' of
the linkage altered the shift rod length, so one (or more) shift forks no
longer go into full engagement on the synchros. I see no reason the Pantera
shift shaft directions (Red Owners Manual) shouldn't work on the dash-1 ZF as
effectively as it does on the dash-2.
Basically, the directions say to set the shift stick in neutral with the
engine off and perfectly center the stick relative to the gate. While there's
a clevis in the middle of the shift rods to do this, I've never had need to
use it-   and I shifted our powertrain back 3/4" and down 7/8". I unclamp a
u-joint and slide the shaft back or forth on its splines.   Try it; costs
nothing, can be done by one person and only takes a few minutes. Good luck- J
DeRyke