[DeTomaso] Dash 1 ZF Question- Internal shift detents??? Mangusta

zumzum at cox.net zumzum at cox.net
Thu Aug 19 19:18:09 EDT 2010

Steve,
What you did was to change the linkage length which resulted in you not getting enough movement in the selector shaft for 4th. What you need to do is to lengthen the overall distance, that is hard.
So what you do is this: put car in air in 4th gear with linkage removed from trans or very loose.
You need to: Put shift lever in 4th and trans in 4th!
Jiggle on selector rod while helper powers speed up and down w/ brake loading to make no sure no pop out.
Then adjust linkage to fit!!!!!
Linkage must conform to you [shift master] and trans selector shaft {shift slave}.
Remember shifter is secondary to trans selection.
Keep in mind what distance you give 4th you take from other opposite plane gears.
Back in April I had Piero Rivolta's Varedo in my repair shop the day before he would drive it in my cruise and be in my show, doing the same issue. Loose and vague gear selector function.
It took about an hour and half of major stress and communiction with paid mechanic with good ears in car while I established correct gear selection process.
Do not trust guesses or thoughts. Do not waste time measuring. Allow the trans to tell where the adjustments need to be done.
Then you load/test all other gears for proper function.
Frustration may become your friend, so what.
This is the way I have done my Bora, Mangusta, Varedo, customer's Lotuses and others.
I hope I have helped. Remember that mounts and out of square body to engine issues will need to be addressed separately.
Jeff Cobb

--
Jeff Cobb