[DeTomaso] # of surviving cars

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:20:07 EDT 2010

Yes, the interface is a bit klunky sometimes, due to the fact that the
pages are spread all over the internet because he hasn't got the money to pay to
host the whole site in one place, and doesn't have the type of personality
to ask YOU to pay for it.  Instead he's using up free server space on
countless different sites, which is largely transparent to you, the user.

>>>Mike, some corrections/replies are in order.  The interface is klunky party due
to the fact that I've written most of the code (and had to learn while doing)
and party because I bought a "login" package with its own 'bugs' (and no support), and
then had to customize it to work for me, creating new bugs.  My site WAS hosted long ago
"in the cloud" (which is the current popular term for distributed storage) now I incur a
monthly fee to host my site on one place (or transparent to me!).  The overall size, and
database requirements limit the choices that my budget can afford.

Ben Tyer's registry is also excellent, although it's got considerably fewer
cars.   It also came into being long after Chuck's, and seems to me to be
the answer to a question nobody ever asked (that question being, "How come we
don't have two parallel registries?").

Who's registry was first, or even who's online registry was first is not really an issue.
I had lots of data, but had not yet had the time to make it available.  Remember I started
collecting details more than 10 years before actually I bought my car. But that didn't
help anyone, did it?
I have not visited Ben's site in a long time, but it is a good thing for what it is.  I
made the offer to collaborate with Ben a long ago.  I made similar offers to Bill Van Ess,
Bill Milborn and even POCA way back then, without 'progress'.  I've chosen to 'go my own
way'.  And I think it is good Ben continues to go his own way, and Peter Havlik does his
thing, Darryl (?) the Mangusta guy, the push-button guy (Allen Morris and his future
replacement ???), and everyone else too.
If anyone prefers to do it another way, feel free to start your own resource.

Or support one of the present resources, if you are not willing to do the work yourself.
It may not excite or interest you, but by documenting the history of your car NOW, future
people will appreciate it!

Chuck