[DeTomaso] # of surviving cars

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 16:41:29 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/20/10 11 54 10, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm not sure how well it has worked, but at least he's doing something
> and on his own dime.

And more to the point, on his own TIME.   People forget the hundreds and
thousands of hours he's devoted to that project, asking for absolutely nothing
from anybody in return, except contributions (which in turn add to his
workload).   Nobody has to pay him a penny to look at the information there.
All he asks is that people contribute information to the cause.   Yet some
people are so, well...I am at a loss to describe their particular personality
quirk...but these people demand to be given access to something, yet refuse
to help or contribute in any way, then are critical and dismissive of the
project because of it.

He's got over 2800 cars in the registry, each requiring its own page which
he constructs on behalf of the person who contributed the information.
Plus there's all sorts of other pages there too.   I'm sure he himself doesn't
know how many, but I'd guess there are easily over 3000 individual pages on
his website.   That is an enormous labor of love that deserves to be
respected and appreciated, not criticized.

Yes, the interface is a bit klunky sometimes, due to the fact that the
pages are spread all over the internet because he hasn't got the money to pay to
host the whole site in one place, and doesn't have the type of personality
to ask YOU to pay for it.   Instead he's using up free server space on
countless different sites, which is largely transparent to you, the user.

Ben Tyer's registry is also excellent, although it's got considerably fewer
cars.   It also came into being long after Chuck's, and seems to me to be
the answer to a question nobody ever asked (that question being, "How come we
don't have two parallel registries?").