[DeTomaso] STEERING ADJUSTMENT / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 14:09:16 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/17/09 7:07:34 AM, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> There is a big lock-nut on the rack and I have briefly opened and removed
> the rack cover but could not see any change when moving it.

Those nuts and the shaft they contol usually change the depth of insertion
or pre-load of the pinion into a steering gear. You won't see any change but
you may feel a diffeence in steering effort or perhaps a change in free
play. Problem is, the center of the steering gear is usually worn more than the
outer edges, so adjusting the steering with wheels pointed straight forward
can result in an over-tight conditions in turns. You'll just have to try it
and see how the car handles and maybe adjust for a happy medium. Good luck-
J Deryke