[DeTomaso] How easy to pull a ZF vertically using an overheadbeam?

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 20:43:59 EDT 2009

When I did my ZF by myself a couple of years ago (I realized after I had 7
guys over to help me put my new motor in that in our excitement had
neglected to torque the flywheel), it was pretty easy.

With everything disconnected/removed, I used a hoist and a pair of tie-down
straps.  The straps allowed me to adjust the angle of the ZF both going in
and out.  Put the straps around the tranny, one in front of the bottom
plate, one behind, both to the one hook on the hoist.

Since you are going to tilt the engine forward, remove the dist cap (no need
to undo all the wires, just lift it off and lay it back on the air cleaner).
With the straps in place and light tension, undo the tranny rear mount
bolts.  Lift up on the ZF to tilt the motor forward.  When you have as much
angle as you can, slip a brace (piece of wood) between the cross member
under the back of the pan and the pan to hold it there.  At this point, you
can remove the bell housing bolts and pull back gently on the ZF with a
slight lift on the hoist to compensate for the angle.

Once the input shaft is free, it's smooth lifting from there.

Good luck.

Mike Thomas