[DeTomaso] How easy to pull a ZF vertically using an overhead beam?

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:12:04 EDT 2009

Is this a one man job with the deck off?

Well it is much easier with two that is for sure.  You are dealing with some weight,
like 155 lbs for the ZF in its lightest form. I took a lot of photos when
Roger and Jim pulled my ZF to replace the clutch, and Jim has a beam/trolly/crane.
I'll have to find my ZF pull page on my website...

We loosened the motor mounts significantly in order to enable us to tip the engine
which allows the ZF to go back in much easier.  (and out too, but less necessary).

Do the motor mounts alone hold the engine OK with the ZF out?

Yes the motor mounts will hold the engine, but Jim & Roger add a square rod under the pan
to keep things in place, regardless.  Again probably more for the re-install than for the
pull portion.

The motor and ZF were installed in the body as a convenience, otherwise the engine
compartment is empty, no rear window.

Thanks,

Ken