[DeTomaso] Water pump impeller direction

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Sep 3 23:07:01 EDT 2009

So I looked at a couple of old stock water pumps and the impeller
direction is the same.

I then took the heater hose off the water pump and inserted a long
tie-wrap (thanks to leftovers from the Rick Moseley relay kit).  I was
able to very easily feel the impeller turning as I turned the hub/pulley
by hand.  So I believe the water pump is still intact.

Therefore, the -only- two possibilities left are:
- Blockage in the block
- FREAKIN' AIR causing a vapor lock.

I think I am going to pour water in the thermostat  housing until it
comes out the water pump heater hose outlet on the pump.
Then I think I'll install one of those flush kit connections on the
heater hose so I have a top point to insert coolant or evacuate air.
The -tested- thermostat already has bleed holes in it but I still think
I'm going to run without one for troubleshooting first.

I better get to it.
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie