[DeTomaso] Recap... Asa's adventure in Pantera fluid dynamics

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Sep 4 00:36:14 EDT 2009

To recap:

- Pulled the thermostat, boil tested it, worked fine.
- Yes, it was installed -correctly-, that is with the spring and copper
plug portion IN the block.
- Alternator belt was near 60 lb and turning the water pump properly.
- Pulled the belt and heater return hose, used tie-wrap inserted to
water pump hole to validate impeller was turning.
- Filled the heater hose line while I had it off then installed it back
to the pump.
- Began filling the block from the thermostat hole, it's big and it's
currently open.
- Turned the water pump by hand to move fluid and expel some air; it is
apparent the water pump is capable of moving the coolant.

At this point, the heads have no coolant in them, as they sit higher
than the thermostat opening.  Filling the heater lines from the heater
hose introduced an air pocket in the heater core, as I was filling from
a higher location than the other hose and at some point the whole thing
stopped filling, but nothing more came out the lower hose.  The car now
sits.

Tomorrow, I'll install the upper pipe.  I'm not sure if I'm going to run
with or without a thermostat yet.  At least I know I have two different
thermostats that work.  But I do have questions, I'll set it up first.

I put nearly two gallons of coolant into the block tonight while turning
the water pump by hand.

- Could I have blown off that much in steam?
- How many gallons does a typical Pantera take?  (Entire system, engine,
pipes and radiator, all dry)

At this time, all that makes sense is a massive air pocket that at some
point got stuck at the water pump, much as I don't want to believe it.

On another note, I'm taking my original overflow tank (you know... the
one shot with the rust shotgun) to the shop that fixed my swirl tank
water neck.  I'm going to see if they can do anything with it, after all
it's not a pressure tank and I just can't bring myself to pay asking
price for a replacement.

I'd like to thank everyone who continues to come up with great questions
and ideas.  Though many of them have already been covered, I appreciate
the fact you are thinking of so many possibilities.

Thank you,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie