[DeTomaso] head drilling for air release

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Sep 3 15:32:03 EDT 2009

Charles McCall skrev:
> Good idea to do some testing. For reasons known only to thermostat
> manufacturers, thermostats always fail CLOSED (except for one very special assembly
> that I've lost the name of) thus guaranteeing engine overheating instead of
> over-cooling. Good luck- J Deryke
>
> ***Perhaps its the exception that demonstrates the rule, but my old Audi A6 (still for sale if anyone's interested) has the thermostat stuck open. Takes forever to warm up, and in winter on the highway it never gets above 50C.

My similarly aged Audi A6, with a similar V6 engine, 30V (yes, 5 valves
per cylinder :-), also suffers from this. When I bought the car I
thought it was a gauge problem, but apparently it was the thermostat.
When I had the timing belt replaced I asked them to replace the
thermostat as well (the belt needs to be removed to get at the
thermostat), but either the mechanic was a complete moron (highly
likely), or there was some problem with the OEM thermostat as it still
takes ages for the engine to warm up

> To change the thermostat requires basically complete disassembly of the entire engine, transmission, interior, exterior, and suspension. OK, perhaps not, but I was quoted over €1000 to change it - €990 in labor and €10 in parts.

Not quite as bad, but the timing belt needs to come off, so it is not a
5 minute job :-(

> But I agree, they typically do stick closed. Murphy's law?

By the way, have you compared the top speed of the audi before/after
adding the golf ball dimples? ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas