[DeTomaso] head drilling for air release

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:52:32 EDT 2009

Good idea to do some testing. For reasons known only to thermostat
manufacturers, thermostats always fail CLOSED (except for one very special assembly
that I've lost the name of) thus guaranteeing engine overheating instead of
over-cooling. Good luck- J Deryke

***Perhaps its the exception that demonstrates the rule, but my old Audi A6 (still for sale if anyone's interested) has the thermostat stuck open. Takes forever to warm up, and in winter on the highway it never gets above 50C.

To change the thermostat requires basically complete disassembly of the entire engine, transmission, interior, exterior, and suspension. OK, perhaps not, but I was quoted over €1000 to change it - €990 in labor and €10 in parts.

But I agree, they typically do stick closed. Murphy's law?