[DeTomaso] I blew up my car

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 23:56:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/1/09 20 47 43, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> The overflow, now plumbed behind the rear wheel, is steaming like mad.
>
> BANG!
> The overflow bottle BLOWS UP.  (it was an inexpensive Summit plastic one
> thank God)
>
> Radiator fans never came on, never even approached their switch
> temperature.
>
> I am about tired of this sh**.

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed.   Water circulates around and
around in the block, superheats and then blows the overflow bottle.   I had
exactly the same thing happen in my GT350 when the thermostat literally
broke, and got stuck shut as a result.   The cheap junk plastic overflow bottle
blew apart between turns 3 and 4 at Sears Point.

BTW this is nature's way of telling you not to run cheap junk plastic water
bottles!   I had to sack up and buy a quality Canton welded aluminum
overflow.   You need to sack up and get a proper Pantera bottle. :>)