[DeTomaso] GT5S Brakes

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 05:37:04 EDT 2009

So to what extent did Kirk 'build' the Amerisport cars? I always thought
that like modern day Superformance, Noble and the like Amerisport Panteras
came in as rolling chassis' sans engine and transaxle and that Kirk added
those and a few of his own touches?
***Yes. I've seen an Amerisport car in the DeTomaso factory, and it was
basically complete with the exception of engine and gearbox. Brakes,
suspension, interior, gauges... it was all installed in Modena.

Like many Pantera parts I'd expect that the factory (especially in later
years) was sourcing parts from a larger inventory of available generic
parts, so the big task is to identify the unit manufacturer and find out
what else it was used on.
***With the exception of the completely redesigned smog control stuff on the
engine and Amerisport cosmetic parts like the rear wing, I believe you are
right. Kirk may have had some spares floating around in case something got
damaged, lost, or needed to be replaced under warranty, but those parts no
doubt came from the factory as well. So the true source of parts would be
the factory.

Good luck,

Julian

> From: larry at ohiotimecorp.com
> To: detomaso at realbig.com; ihannington286720mi at comcast.net
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:26:53 -0400
> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] GT5S Brakes
>
> You need to talk to Kirk Evans. He built the car and must have the part he
needs.

> http://www.amerisportindustries.com/
>
> 419-344-8148
>

> Larry - Cleveland
>

> On Sat Oct 17 18:16 , "Ian H" sent:
>
> >Ok, so my buddy with the GT5S, ordered and got his EBC brake pads and
they fit
> like a charm. Now he noticed that he is leaking fluid out of the shuttle
valve
> and he says he sees a crack right where the stop light switch screws into
it.
> Checking the parts catalog he sees that the GT5S valve has a different
part #
> than a Ford era Pantera. He has called most of the vendors and so far can
not
> find one for a GT5S.
> >
> >So, the questions are: Is there a difference between the two shuttle
valves?
> And, does anyone out there happen to have one of them laying around?
> >
> >If we can't find one, I told him that we can re-plumb the system like I
did on
> mine and get rid of the shuttle valve and stock prop valve and install a
regular
> T- block and an adjustable prop valve. He would like to stick with what
was
> original to the car though, so now the search begins!
> >
> >I am off to the garage to see if I saved my old shuttle valve off my 74
L. I

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/