[DeTomaso] GT5S Brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 19:41:47 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/17/09 16 15 53, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> So to what extent did Kirk 'build' the Amerisport cars? I always thought
> that like modern day Superformance, Noble and the like Amerisport Panteras
> came in as rolling chassis' sans engine and transaxle and that Kirk added
> those and a few of his own touches?
>
>>>Yes, true.   Kirk had a stack of leftover ZF gearboxes, and 351C
engines.   He had to build his own exhaust headers incorporating catalytic
converters, an enormously complicated airbox that completely sealed the carburetor
so that fumes couldn't escape, and that's about it.   The bodies were built
to the Swiss standard (which was nominally the same as the US standard at the
time) so they came with L-model-style bumpers (slightly different in the
rear), reflectors etc. from Italy.

> Like many Pantera parts I'd expect that the factory (especially in later
> years) was sourcing parts from a larger inventory of available generic
> parts, so the big task is to identify the unit manufacturer and find out what
> else it was used on.
>
>>>Right--it's probably a generic Italian car part from the mid-1980s, i.e.
Alfa, Fiat, whatever.   Probably also used on period Maseratis.   Probably
not Ford.