[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 29 13:51:22 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 11:26:05 PM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> One thing against pushers is that if the blades are flexible they might
> run into the radiator at high speed, destroying the radiator.
>
> Why would you lay the radiator down if you have the fans in front of the
> radiator? I believe the reason for a lay down arrangement is mainly for
> space issues with sucker fans.

The first issue actually happened to Jr Wilson on his SS Pantera. Above 150
mph, air pressure on stock front-mount fans flexed the blades enough to
core out a section of the radiator, resulting in loss of a radiator since such
core damage is unrepairable. And I believe this also happened to MIke Drew
with his 'Shelby-authentic' supplementary front pusher fans (aluminum blades)
in his kit-Cobra, but at lower speed.

And yes- IMHO the main reason to lay down any radiator is for more working
space for the fan connections and rad hose clamps. There's no advantage one
way or another cooling-wise for a lay-down. Corvette radiators tilt backward
at the top due to fit issues with their low noses and front-mounted
engines. FWIW- J Deryke