[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 29 13:36:48 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 8:19:58 PM, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> I was told that pusher fans are more effective than pullers.  Usually
> there isn't room in front of the radiator.

I think you were told wrong. Sucker fans -in a shroud- affect the entire
core area while pusher fans only affect the core area directly in front of the
fan blades, which is less than half. Adding a shroud in front of a radiator
restricts the surface area of the core at higher speeds. Supplementary fans
are only needed at very low road speeds; above about 25 mph, Panteras (and
presumably, Mangustas) don't need fans at all. Sucker fans always work
better in my experience and most designs reflect this; the only reason to use
pusher fans in any car is lack of adequate space behind the radiator. The only
other car I can remember having pusher fans besides the stock Pantera is the
early Countache, which also had restricted space behind its dual radiators.
My 2¢- J Deryke