[DeTomaso] Fw:  Some tech analysis of Classic LeMans 08

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 20:03:04 EDT 2009

Not to take anything away from Johnny's or Pat's skills, this is actually a pretty easy mod. I did mine over the winter and in the process walked Larry Stock's guy through it, so maybe PPC can off the mod too now.

The OEM front upper a-arm welds are not substantial or structural as the clamped ball joint provides the structural integrity between the two halves. These two halves split easily by grinding the weld on teh plat joining them and then it's a case of straighten one leg in a press prior to welding back together. You'll need to make up a jig prior to splitting the halves so you can weld them back together correctly aligned. I gained 3/4" and got some aluminum bar stock to fabricate the now required spacer to set the ball joint back. I then added the camber lock too as it's just a couple more welds at that point, but equally the vendors camber locks would work just as well but at more $$.

I also did quite a bit of research and played around making a fully adjustable front upper a-arm (heim jointed) and it is doable with mostly off the shelf parts (apart from the fact the ball joint taper is an odd one).

Julian