[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Thu May 28 16:50:30 EDT 2009

Quoting MikeLDrew at aol.com:

> of the hoses.   They should send them to you for free if it was their
> mistake.

The vendor in question doesn't really sell a "complete kit" and
instead put something together for me with everything they thought
should be in it.  It's my fault for not double-checking, and I was
really only charged for what I got, which mostly consists of
Green-strip by the foot.

> It's difficult to argue that the factory pipes are the wrong length, but
> perhaps the aftermarket ones are?   It would be nice if you could
> shorten them
> (if necessary) and use a bead roller to ensure that the pipes still have
> beads at both ends.

Ohhh, I forgot about the beads, good point.

> The stock and stock-style radiators have 90-degree fittings coming out of
> them, to which the intermediate pipes are connected with short, straight
> sections of hose.   If you have an aftermarket radiator that only
> has straight
> outlets, that explains why your're missing hoses--your hose kit doesn't come
> with 90-degree elbow hoses because Panteras don't normally need them there.
>  In that case, you can get hoses from any auto parts store, or from the
> vendor that sold you the radiator (the hoses should have been included or at
> least sold with the radiator).

Um... yea... that's right.  Brain fart there, thanks for reminding me. :)

>> - Comments on sucker fan with curved blades facing wrong way.

> fan blades makes them substantially more efficient.   It's called a
> 'scimitar' blade because of the general resemblance to an old scimitar sword.
>
> There's a little bit of information on scimitar propellers on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar_propeller

I don't mind the curve, what I mind is that it's not "scooping" the
air with the curve.  Imagine for a moment, mounting an orignal Pantera
fan on the motor backwards, so the curve is the wrong way.  It still
works if the motor turns the right way, but how less efficient is it?

Thank you for the comments, makes me think more deeply.

Asa Jay