[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 28 16:32:43 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 13 18 45, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> In summary, three questions:
> - Where and what to get for the short elbow hose and the two radiator
> hoses in the cooling system.
>
>>>From the vendor that sold you a complete kit and forgot to include some
of the hoses.   They should send them to you for free if it was their
mistake.

> - Comments on shortening the intermediate tubes going to the radiator.
>
>>>I forget--are you reusing your factory pipes or installing new ones?
It's difficult to argue that the factory pipes are the wrong length, but
perhaps the aftermarket ones are?   It would be nice if you could shorten them
(if necessary) and use a bead roller to ensure that the pipes still have
beads at both ends.

The stock and stock-style radiators have 90-degree fittings coming out of
them, to which the intermediate pipes are connected with short, straight
sections of hose.   If you have an aftermarket radiator that only has straight
outlets, that explains why your're missing hoses--your hose kit doesn't come
with 90-degree elbow hoses because Panteras don't normally need them there.
 In that case, you can get hoses from any auto parts store, or from the
vendor that sold you the radiator (the hoses should have been included or at
least sold with the radiator).

Given that this is apparently the case, your intermediate pipes will indeed
be a bit too long, because the 90-degree hoses will allow for several
inches of clearance behind the radiator, while the stock setup has the straight
hoses virtually touching the fins.   So shortening the intermediate pipes
makes more sense now.

> - Comments on sucker fan with curved blades facing wrong way.
>
>>>They aren't the wrong way.   Scientists have discovered that curving the
fan blades makes them substantially more efficient.   It's called a
'scimitar' blade because of the general resemblance to an old scimitar sword.

There's a little bit of information on scimitar propellers on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar_propeller