[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 28 17:08:23 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 13 51 16, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I don't mind the curve, what I mind is that it's not "scooping" the
> air with the curve.  Imagine for a moment, mounting an orignal Pantera
> fan on the motor backwards, so the curve is the wrong way.  It still
> works if the motor turns the right way, but how less efficient is it?
>
>>>Scimitar fans don't work by scooping the air.   They are deliberately
curved so that the outside of the fan blade trails the inside by several
inches.   I don't understand why it's better, but it's the latest trend in
propeller/fan aerodynamics.   Among other things, it is much quieter.   From the
Spal website FAQ section:

Q.    What's the difference between the straight blade fans and the curved
blade fans?
A.     The straight blade fans provide maximum cooling for their size.  The
curved blade fans sacrifice a small amount of performance in return for a
much quieter fan. If noise is an issue, go with the curved blade fans.  If
ultimate performance is the objective, use the straight blade fans.