[DeTomaso] NPC How can this happen in America

Jar cadhearse60 at verizon.net
Tue May 26 23:07:39 EDT 2009

I have to say that I never understood this "US vs Them" logic when it
comes to buying cars (or anything else).

My Dad and my Uncle (both RIP) used to get into this from time to time
when I was a kid.  My Dad with his Mercedes-Benz and my Uncle with his
Ford T-Birds.  My Dad was a serious car nut all his life and he always
ended the argument with authority saying:

"You can't subsidize mediocrity!"

What are the countries of the world?  Sports teams?  We are
unpatriotic traitors if we buy a foreign product?  Spending multi-
thousands on something is serious business and smart folks don't base
their purchasing decisions on a need to root for the home team.
Somehow Americans deserve to have money and jobs more than foreigners
do?  Americans are better than everyone else?  This is just xenophobic
nonsense.   In my family this view died with my Uncle.

My Dad often said American cars were sub-standard compared to Japanese
or European, but he bought them anyway.  My Dad's American cars:
66 Pontiac Bonneville (caught on fire)
70 Mercury Cougar convertible (rear window leaked rain)
71 Pontiac Firebird (ran perfect for a long time)
77 Mercury Monarch (too boring)
80 Cadillac Seville (ran perfect for a long time, but the interior
started falling apart)
93 Jeep (wagon/SUV) (ran perfect until the day he died)

Some were crap, some were not.

The ones he owned together or in between were all German, Volkswagon,
Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi (the Audi was by far the worst car
he ever owned, an abominable piece of expensive sh*t)

As for me, I have bought 4 new vehicles in my whole life:

85 Toyota pickup:  Threw a rod at 125K
93 Toyota pickup:   Ran like a top, replaced it when my Dad (yep)
advised me to try one of those new F-150's
95 Ford F-150:  Threw a (V6) rod at 75K, new motor = $6,000 (ouch!)
2001 Toyota Tundra:  Front brakes trash at 30K ($5K TRD upgrade),
throttle body trash at 60K (repl. under warranty), $800 bucks to
replace a starter, nice truck but I couldn't sell this looming money
pit quick enough.

I cannot honestly say which is better, a Ford F-150 or a Toyota
Tundra.  Neither one of them made it to 100k in my garage.

These days I do not even own a modern vehicle as I just plain flat-out
don't like 'em.  They are too complicated for me to fix myself, they
all look the same (ugly) and I can't treat a new one casually as I
need to.  I don't want to have to baby a new daily driver because I am
fiendishly trying to maintain it's resale value so as to get another
one before said resale value takes a nosedive.

My fun cars are all American beauties, which I happily pamper and
treasure:

60 Cadillac hearse
65 Buick Riviera
73 DeTomaso Pantera (well, half-American)

My daily drivers are simple Japanese mules, which I drive the crap out
of and fix (most things) myself:

72 Datsun 510 Wagon
78 Datsun 620 Pickup

If American car companies are failing, I suspect it is primarily from
this simple fact:

Generally speaking, foreign cars have historically performed better in
the categories of reliability and resale value creating a perception
in the consumers' mind that foreign cars are a more fiscally prudent
purchase.

It's a damned shame, in my opinion, because American cars are a hell
of a lot more fun and look much cooler.