[DeTomaso] Electrical Gremlins

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 09:56:25 EDT 2009

 I ran a ground wire directly from the water temp gauge to a tab that is spot welded to the lower tunnel.  I cleaned the paint off the tab prior to attaching the wire to it.  The temp needle still moves back and forth from time to time.  I doesn't appear that the gauges are now affected when I turn the parking lights on,  not what I expected.  How could that be?  I guess it's possible that I still don't have a good ground,  but I would be surprised if that's the case.  There were two nuts on the back of the gauge that I tightened,  but the nuts only appeared to be keeping the gauge together,  not keeping the terminals in place.  It seems that I have three possible steps to take,  run the new ground wire to the stud,  check the connection at the sending unit,  and make up a new ground cable from the trans to the chassis.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Art

Art, SOBill taught me to take the temp gauge apart and clean the connections to the case. Corrosion gets between the case and the connections and you get variations in the readings. I think I have some photos somewhere if you need them. Been there....done that....SOBill fixed that!