[DeTomaso] Jacking the engine ...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 8 12:23:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/8/09 7:31:13 AM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> The mount needs to slide over 1/8" in order for the bolt to take to the
> threads in the block. Since I don't have the engine hoist available, I was
> thinking that I should jack the block up an inch or so to release pressure
> from the mount. My question is, can I jack the engine from the flat section
> of the oil pan (nearest the bellhousing)? I would use some wood to protect
> the pan.

Yes, especially since you only need to move it a little. Try positioning
the wood on the end near the pan seal, where the curved metal tends to be
stronger. Or jack against the bottom of the bellhousing. Where guys get in
trouble here is putting a small diameter floorjack pad under the sump (the lowest
part of the pan) and pushing the pan bottom into the oil pump pickup. Then,
not enough oil can flow into the pump inlet at high engine speeds and the
main bearings go south.... Good luck- J Deryke