[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 5 15:55:56 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/4/09 1:25:28 PM, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Taking advantage of the subject to ask a question I've always wondered...
> What's the real advantage of the remote oil filter setup?

For me, it was being able to remove the screw-on filter without having to
work two arms fully into the small filter area, to unscrew it and promptly
dump hot oil all over myself, the frame and the ground. By positioning the
filter a foot away on a remote mount, tucked up in the triangular frame opening
near the motormount. I can do the job one-handed, with a drip tray below
the filter to catch all the oil. For many years, I ran a dual filter mounted
on the inner edge of the right hand rocker panel. With that rig, it wasn't
even necessary to jack up the car but it did take some care running the long
in- and out-lines behind the harmonic balancer. When I added the
Ford/Laminova oil heat exchanger, I moved the filter back to the left in the interest of
shortening all the remote oil lines. And as Julian said, I would never
consider using any but Aeroquip armored lines in at least dash-6 size (dash-8 is
bigger/better). Works for me- J Deryke