[DeTomaso] ZF removal question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 1 15:07:36 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/30/09 8:24:53 PM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> I know there are a couple of ways to pull the ZF, one way requires
> bending the rear ear mounts back and down which, quite honestly, I do not want to
> do. The other way requires unbolting the engine motor mount bolts that go
> through the hockey pucks, lifting the ZF while tilting the engine then
> pulling the ZF backwards while the engine is supported with a jack.
>
> My question if I pull the ZF in this manor, do I need to remove the
> headers from the block or do I need only remove the exhaust at the collectors. I
> know I will need to remove the dizzy.

Paul, you need not remove or loosen ANYTHING on the engine to simply pull
the ZF, except the starter and the e-brake cable retainers under the ZF. It's
a good idea to put a hydraulic jack with a 2x4 under the far-back-end seal
area of the oil pan to support the engine and allow you to slightly change
the angle of the assembly when reinstalling the ZF. The angle change will be
so small, the motormounts, exhausts etc all flex that much, and no problems
with the distributor cap unless you've got a big cap dizzy and no firewall
clearance to start with. I've done this without removing the air cleaner!

Remove the nuts from the ZF side-mounts and use a pry-bar to shift the
whole powertrain sideways enough (about 1") to slip the right sidemount off its
3 studs. Once that's off, pry the ZF other way to remove the left-side
mount, which is a little more tricky being under the shifter box. Then undo the
bellhousing bolts (including the small ones through the block-protecting
motor plate underneath), and slide the ZF back. If you're going to fully remove
the ZF, don't forget the speedo cable. The ZF with bellhousing is only 155
lbs and two husky guys can lift it out without a crane.
Suggestion: double-nut one ZF mount-stud to remove it, and find 6 metric
bolts of the proper length to replace all 6 mount studs. The next time the ZF
needs to come out, you only need unscrew the 6 mount bolts with no sideways
prying. Good luck- J Deryke