[DeTomaso] ZF removal question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 1 16:13:44 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/1/09 9:18:27 AM, Pantera007 at provamo.com writes:

> Jack, you have some knowledge on this subject, what do you think?

The six ZF mounting points- either studs or bolts- are lightly loaded in
all directions relative to the size of the fasteners. Theories on ultimate
strength arrangements are fine but real-world practicality counts too. Unless
someone over-torques the fasteners, either studs or bolts will work just
fine. A second point is ease of access: in stock Panteras, only a u-joint socket
(or a cut-down socket with a u-joint) will fit the frontmost bolt/stud-nut
such that the socket is in-line with the fastener and not applying high
side-forces to the fastener. A final point is frequency of removal: if a ZF is
pulled very often- as in real racecars where driving forces are very high and
regearing is common, I'd use studs. Then I'd also horizontally slot some
reinforced ZF mounts for easier removal. But for the average low-maintenence
street Pantera, use clean bolts with oil on their threads, torqued lightly
into the holes. All will be well, and if the clutch gives problems, its less
trouble for one person to take a look inside instead of driving with fingers
crossed. I've done this and I get cramps....My 2¢- J Deryke