[DeTomaso] ZF-can you imagine?

Kerry Maguire kmaguire at landrovermiramar.com
Fri Mar 6 13:35:34 EST 2009

Can you imagine the difficulties a GT40 Marketing Team would have trying to sell a high performance car with a transmission that came out of a steam roller? How could you possibly put a positive spin on that?

On the other hand, the steam roller peeps can use a Saab car commercial type spin:

"Fendt rollers-built from Lemans racers"

> Tell me if this is right:
>
>  The ZF was not originally designed for agricultural nor road building
> machine purposes. It was designed specifically for the GT40 and then later
> modified for Fendt rollers. Racing came first and the mundane application came
> second.

That is my belief, yes.   The ZF manual supports this indirectly in that the
description of the roller doesn't appear until the Dash-2 manual came out,
i.e. 1971-ish.

Mike

Regards,

Kerry M. Maguire