[DeTomaso] Under car water pipes

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 19:26:36 EDT 2009

The hole in the frame isn't really necessary, in my opinion. I don't
plan on implementing that part.
I think John was trying to 'straighten out' the flow paths. I'll let
him elaborate here on this point.

What's really important is to get the filling point on the low
pressure side. I would ALWAYS puke fluid after backing off from
7,000rpm even with a 24lb cap on my Pantera. It did it for years. All
because the fill tank/whatever you want to call it today is on the
high pressure side of the coolant system.
That's one of the dumbest things about the Pantera cooling system.

Look at any other modern car today.

In addition, what I found on my GT40 was that I don't get the large
movements in temperature. i.e., when traveling down the road, I would
see the water temp drop as the thermostat opened. Then, as the engine
would heat back up, the temperature would rise and the cycle would
start over. Circulating through the tubes to the remote thermostat in
the front reduces that to the point I can't see it anymore. Which
means to me the system is damped better and more consistent.

As for the parts required, I used a mid 90's Mustang remote thermostat
housing. Wasn't hard to get at all. Ford had it in stock.

And, if you just happen to have EFI, you can run the fans off of the
block sensor as opposed to the radiator.
That makes a difference as well since the fans turn on when the engine
gets warm enough; not later. It's been in the high 90's here and I've
not had a problem.

Once again.... the most important part is getting the fill point on
the low pressure side plus the remote thermostat.

Engineer the crap out of how it is bad or not right or whatever. I can
attest to the fact that it works.
And, as I said, I'll modify the system the same way once I get my
Pantera back. I told Quella I'd do that myself.

It IS silver and black again! Woohoo!

Later,
Kirby