[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel house rust repair advice needed ..

andriykoisg at yahoo.ca andriykoisg at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 21 20:40:03 EDT 2009

The holes I had drilled, back in 1995 were 3/8 inch diameter.  They are in the same place Mike Drew recommends.

I am not in a big rush.  I am in the process of redoing my engine bay prior to the install of a new engine.  So a quality replacement part would interest me.  The question remains is how much should I replace?

I have thoroughly checked the engine bay and there is no noticable "thinness of metal" in the inner wheel house opposite to the U channels or flat section between them.

As I say, the only noticable area is about one square inch in the rearmost passenger U-channel on the outer face (wheel well side) just at the direction changes from down to down & in.

On the other hand, the amount of exfoliated rust I got out of the 3 holes was about  the equivalent of a rusted panel 1/2 sq.ft to 1 sq.ft.

The issue then is how much do I repair.  The more I remove, the more the work to replace the metal.  But, I need a solid repair.

I am grateful for your advice because of your experience.  That is exactly what I need.

B.G.