[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel house rust repair advice needed ..

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Jun 21 20:22:03 EDT 2009

I had (have) the same issue.  My passenger-side rear wheel was wearing on the inside edge; upon further examination, it turned out the entire rear assembly was collapsing into the shock tower!  The rust comes from inside the frame, and even forms underneath the undercoating.  I took it to a frame guy, and the more he looked, the worse it looked!  I had a bunch of work done, but there is still more to do before the whole car is totally OK.

Every time he whacked something under the car and said "oh, that's not good," I saw dollar signs floating before my eyes...

Don't despair, however, just do as I do--a few thousand at a time!

Seriously, though, if you know of a good frame guy in your area who knows Panteras (and that's important), it's worth your while to have him thoroughly check out your frame.  With any luck, any issues will be minor.  Don't trust your eyes, however.  My car had been through a bare-metal respray only a short time before I bought it and the rocker panels had been replaced.  I thought it was fine until I had that frame guy get out his hammer and chisel.

Sincerely,

Chris