[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel house rust repair advice needed ..

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 21 22:50:52 EDT 2009

The panels aren't that hard to replace.

Cut out all the bad metal with a sawzall and a fiber cut-off wheel in a high
speed.

Cut at least a couple of inches into the good metal.

Trim the replacement part to match.

Make sure it's aligned.

Clamp it.

Tack weld it.

Measure again.

Weld all the seams.

I'm not a body guy.  I'm decent with a wire welder.  I did mine in a couple
of weekends.  The part that took the most time was cutting out the bad
metal.  There was a previous repair, so I had to cut through multiple layers
of metal.

I have pics.

I would definitely wait on the replacement parts from Johnny Woods.  If
they're the same quality as everything else he does, they will be worth the
wait.

The parts I got are great, but they're squared off.  My car has the rounded
tubes.  I'm not worried, though.  After all, it isn't a show car.  The
squared off parts are mucho strongo, and that's all I care about anyway.