[DeTomaso]   Chevy in & out of Panteras or Engine

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 15:41:21 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/18/09 10:54:37 AM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> The small block revs like crazy, generates allot of smooth power and
> helps the weight distribution. I wouldn't dare take my 351c to the rpms the sbc
> regularly lives at.

Rule of Thumb: Chevy small blocks have a really good lower end (crank, rods
& bearings) while smallblock pushrod Fords have a really good upper end
(heads, valves & intake). Thats why NASCAR engine builders use Ford
architecture on the topside with Chev rod lengths & bearing sizes (occasionally, Honda)
on the crank. Then both brands live on short tracks at 9600 rpms lap after
lap. Well, most live.... Remember, whatever tuning knowlege you have on SBCs
is for the most part not applicable to LS-series engines: too much is
changed. Cheers- J Deryke