[DeTomaso] Chevy in & out of Panteras or Engine

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 15:58:15 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/18/09 11:30:46 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I assume you realize that the truely "modern" heads on the current Chevy
> NASCAR engines look much more like Cleveland heads than either the
> traditional SBC or the LS series engines?  At least Chevy got it right for NASCAR.

The weird thing about that is, the last few   years, Chevy's been gradually
going toward the stagger-valve design (which they pioneered in the mid-'60s
on BBCs) while Ford (at least in late model Yates-heads) has been moving
towards straight-valve designs! But the most significant thing IMHO in
LS-engines is the dropping of Chevy's paired intake & exhaust ports- a qustionable
feature(?) in 1955! That why I say that LS-series motors have a truckload of
Ford and hot-rodder features, so most of what you knew about SBCs is no
longer valid. FWIW- Jderyke