[DeTomaso] Exhaust Valve Not Closing?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 15:09:32 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/31/09 3:56:11 PM, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

> A couple weeks ago I missed a shift and surely over revved the engine.
> The engine was making all kinds of racket for a couple minutes and then the
> noise stopped.  Hmmm?  The engine runs fine till I run it hard and then it
> sometimes does the same thing again.  It sounds to me like an exhaust valve
> is not completely closing?

With over-revved 351-Cs, an exhaust valve most often contacts a piston top,
and bends the stem a little. Depending on where up the stem the bend is,
the valve may stick in the guide (until it cracks the end of the guide or
wears itself enough clearance). Or, a pushrod may have bent from the same
contact. None of this will show up on a compression or leak-down test. In the case
of a pushrod, you may find one is looser than all the others by only
pulling the rocker covers and rotating the engine progressively for TDC on each
cylinder while twiddling each pushrod or rocker, rather than doing a complete
teardown. If you're lucky- and you're certtainly due for some GOOD luck, my
friend! Incidently, a rev-limiter is cheap insurance on any Pantera....
Cheers- J Deryke