[DeTomaso] original block question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 14:13:44 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/22/09 10:43:26 AM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> There's some reason for the oil burning problem--a cracked ring or rings
> might be only part of the problem.  If I can start taking it apart I'll
> eventually find out.

There's only the hole at the top of a cylinder (plugged by the head, guides
and valves) and the hole at the bottom (plugged by the piston & rings). So
once you find which cylinder(s), inspection will tell you which of the
choices it is. I once pulled a high-mileage oil-burner apart in front of the
owner, and every single piston that came out had broken rings, some pieces of
which jingled to the floor on removal. That one took no rocket-science to
figure out.... Cheers- J Deryke