[DeTomaso] ZF safety wire label

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:22:31 EDT 2009

When I changed my cylinder heads and oil pan last year, I checked the
ZF for safety wire.  It's a -1 model, so I suspected it might have
been factory wired, but I felt uneasy about reliability so I cracked
it open and confirmed my suspicions.

Now that I know the ring gear is on to stay, what is the best way to
indicate to the next owner (I assume 50 years from now) that the ring
gear is safety wired?  I was thinking of writing on it with a black
sharpie, but that sounds messy.  Maybe I should engrave a message
somewhere?  Make a metal tag "Safety wire checked 09/08" and bolt it
to the case? Or is it best to leave it as a mystery?

sean