[DeTomaso] Another brake question.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 00:36:02 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/11/09 2:11:07 PM, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> Just to be certain, I don't need to replace the proportioning valve if
> I?remove the extra 2 rear calipers?
> My experience is that when a car has a very hard pedal intermittently it
> is in fact the booster or vacuum problem.

Most likely you will not need a manual proportioning valve if the whole
rest of the brake system is stock, but you still gotta test the results before
getting into traffic. Fooling with the brakes is much more serious that
fooling with the engine because of the possibilities for running into someone.
A very 'hard' pedal with little slowing can indeed be a sign of an inop
power brake booster. But as I said, the real test is 0-1500 psi pressure gauges
in both front & rear lines. These can be temporarily attached via the
threaded bleed nipple holes on a front & rear caliper. Some big brake shops can
do this or you can rig your own. Good luck- J Deryke