[DeTomaso] Headers to muffler connection

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 11:41:58 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/4/09 11:28:30 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Flat gaskets to mate the two?
> - Some kind of donut?
> - What kind of material?

Pantera mufflers have a cantilevered mount in back that puts forward
pressure on the exhaust-to-header flange. Bumps tend to crush the donuts, which
then loosens the bolts, allowing vibration to finish the job of destroying the
donuts. I use flat gaskets with a steel inner ring, even on coned flanges
that also accept donuts, and have yet to have a gasket fail. On the other
hand, I've failed lots of donuts-even the 'super' types that are supposedly
built to take 'abuse'. So if you actually drive the car on real-world bumpy
roads, donuts will not last, in my experience. YMMV- J Deryke