[DeTomaso] Headers to muffler connection

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 14:36:44 EDT 2009

Paul wrote:

Percy's makes a very good flat dead soft aluminum gasket that seals
very
well and is reusable. The same set has been on my car and leak free for
the
better part of 10 years even in lieu of taking the headers and exhausts
off
several times

>>>After losing two donuts in two days in Reno, I've committed to
switching to flat gaskets.  I have GTS exhausts which are set up for
flat gaskets, and donuts really didn't belong in there anyway.
Similarly, stock exhausts (and Hall headers) aren't set up to
accommodate flat gaskets, and require the use of a donut.

I'd love to get a set of Percy's dead-soft gaskets, but they apparently
 don't make them in the appropriate size (2.25 inch) anymore. :<(

Instead, Rich Boschert turned me on to Remflex graphite gaskets
(http://www.remflex.com/), which have a 50% crush factor.  I'm planning
on doubing them up (using two gaskets between the header and exhaust)
to give me maximum adjustability while hopefully guaranteeing a good
seal.  I'll probably glue the two gaskets together with Permatex Copper
exhaust gasket maker, which in my experience works really well.

I should know by next weekend if it worked???

AJ--see if your headers are in fact Pantera headers, and then determine
what kind of system they use.  If your exhaust is set up for donuts,
then donuts will probably work fine.  And if not, for sure they won't!

Fel-Pro makes soft steel donuts, and I have some to fit stock exhausts.
  Rich sent them to me for free and I'd happily forward them onto you if
you can use them.