[DeTomaso] compression, oil question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Jul 3 12:18:04 EDT 2009

Here's a situation a friend of mine has, can anyone give him some suggestions?  His email is gggraup at comcast.net and he is on the cc line of this email.

Thanks,

Chris

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:41:46 +0000
From: gggraup at comcast.net
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com
Subject: RE: Rescue of Chris' car

Chris.  I am going to do a compression check on my Pantera.   I had hoped to find a broken rocker arm or a flat cam lobe, but it looks like its neither of them.  Lots of blow by  usually means bad compression, and yet the engine does not smoke from the exhaust, but only shoots smoke out the pvc hole and breather.  This engine only has about 4,000 miles on it since we rebuilt it.   Never was overheated or short on oil and has good pressure, so I am really suspecting that I have a broken piston.  Compression check should bear that out.  Here is what I am looking to do.  If it truly is a broken piston,  I would like to replace it as cheaply as possible, providing there is no cylinder scoring or damage.   Its a standard bore engine, and if you would put out the word that I may be needing a piston from a 1971 model engine,  someone in the club may have one lying around they would sell me.  Will know more after the compression check, and pulling the head, so will let you know.  I can't imagine what else it could be that would cause the blowby.   The thing that makes me think its a piston or single cylinder is that instead of getting just a bit of pressure out the breather, it chugs like a steam engine.  In other words, everytime it fires on whichever cylinder it is, it shoots smoke, so it must be confined to one.  Make sense to you?   Can't see how there could be crankcase pressure except past the rings (valve not opening) or a hole in the piston, or maybe broken ring.   Heartbreaking situation.   The only good that can come of it is that I will be able to fix the float in the gas tank when the engine is out.......gotta find a silver lining, right?    Gary