[DeTomaso] Reno-Fernley track report

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:36:41 EST 2009

<moconwell at msn.com> wrote: "Sorry I have to disagree balanced on years of racing with SCCA."

A key to rememer is this is not racing, it is an opportunity for Pantera owners to get out on track and experience their car in a safe environment. Similar driver abilities are grouped in the form of A, B and C run groups with cars stagger started and spaced out on the track. Yes there will be some drivers within each group that are faster and catch the car in front, but designated passing zones coupled with a mandatory 'point by' and courteous driving all make for a great day of fun. For the most part it is far safer than your normal Sunday road driving.

Inherently group A with open passing is perceived to offer higher risk, but the level of experience of the drivers in that group mitigates that to a very high degree.

Mike and Larry Finch spent virtually the whole afternoon at the RFR track, firstly driving various configurations to arrive at the best option from a "minimum risk, maximum fun" (in that order) perspective. Once they had narrowed down the selections we walked and talked sections of the track, stood at corner worker stations and looked at all the angles, viewpoints etc. from a safety standpoint. Personally I'm excited about the layout they came up with, I see the RFR venue/track overall as an exciting prospect and a great mix, offering amany elements that Spring Mountain did not (a lot of which had been requested through use of the long track). I certainly don't see the selected track as any 'unsafer' than that used previously in Pahrump. After all even the best of them can end up in the Sagebrush if trying too hard.........;>)

All I have to do now is get my car back together in time, but after my visit to the track Wednesday I'm all fired up to do my darnedest to make that happen.

Julian