[DeTomaso] Reno-Fernley track report

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 12:10:36 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/22/09 8 57 44, adin at frontier.net writes:

> IMO, there is some conflict between 1) and 2).  NOt being up to the
> Jim Clark/ Rufus P. Jones [1] skill level [2] it would seem that one
> can learn as much from the niggly slow corners as the high speed/ high
> risk situations.  I love to drive but am not willing to stuff a car
> into a wall or have a "fancy dismount" at high speed.  (Yep, I am the
> chicken . . .have you passed me yet?)

You make the logical flaw in asserting that high speed = high risk.   In
fact, the areas that we felt were dangerous were typically among the slowest
corners on the track, whereas the higher speed sections were comparatively safer.
One corner that raised concern was a low-speed turn called 'the slide'.   We
eliminated the top of the 'peanut' from consideration because this would then
deposit drivers into 'the slide' with a high rate of speed.   Choosing the
bottom of 'the peanut' results in a much lower entry speed into 'the slide', and
a resultant elimination of any danger there.