[DeTomaso] Why use a 351 Cleveland rather then a 351 Windsor??

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:41:30 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM, <bwerner at live.com> wrote:

> Ok you ford guys, why would I want to put a 351 Cleveland back in my
> Pantera, instead of using a much better engine, the 351 Windsor??
>
> I have used and raced Chevrolets all my life until I purchased my 73L.  It
> of course came with a 351 Cleveland with the big ported heads (which are
> useless on the street).

It really depends on what you mean by "better" and "useless".  For the size
and weight of the Pantera, a 3L six with variable valve train and 4
valves/cylinder sounds like the best solution for the street; matching
sprightly performance to decent gas mileage in a normal operating range of
zero to 80MPH.  Pop a turbo on it, and you'd have performance commesurate
with most of the high end cars of today and beating 99% of everything else
out there.  So that could be considered "better" and "useful".  It would be
pretty expensive to put together for a do it yourselfer though.

The big ported 4V heads are behind the technology curve of today; you can
only dominate racing for a few years before someone comes out with something
better.  I run them because they are historic, and they are pleasant enough
for the way I drive and occasionaly flog the car.  There are tons of choices
for heads now even for the 351C.  With eaither one, you should be thorough
with your parts selection and machining.  Either one is a good choice.  I'd
like to hear more about your custom built roller 351C though.  That sounds
very nice!

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera