[DeTomaso] Carb question

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 15:08:02 EST 2009

I've recently come into a 392-351C stroker that dyno'd at 570 hp built by Bennett Racing. It's complete but doesn't have carb.  I could use the 730 Holley on my current engine (basically stock 351C with performer intake), but i get the feeling that might not be quite enough.  My current thinking is a Holley 830 (80509) 4150 HP series with the down-leg booster.  I was also briefly considering Dan's Webers, but don't want to cut the deck lid to fit them.

I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions you may have as to size and brand that would be a good match for this engine.  Here is some additional info about the engine if interested:

======

OEM 351C
SCAT 3.85 CRANKSHAFT-INTERNAL BALANCED
SCAT H BEAM RODS
CUSTOM ROSS PISTONS
CUSTOM BENNETT HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAM
FORD MOTORSPORT TIMING CHAIN
CRANE LINK BAR HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS
COMP CAMS PUSHRODS
HARLAND sharp ROLLER ROCKERS
CHI 225 ALUMINUM 351C HEADS
CHI INTAKE

Specs from the build:

Bore: 4.030
Crank: Scat 3.850 9000 series
Balance: internal zero
Cam: 3018F-3039B 112
Intake Lobe: 242 @ .050 .366LL
Exhaust Lobe: 250 @ .050 .363 LL
Lobe separation: 112
Pistons: Ross
Rods: Scat 6.00 H beam
Lifters: Crane link bar hydraulic roller
Heads: CHI 225 3V
Pushrods: 7.850 Com cams HD
Rocker Arms: Harland sharp 4005